There is no one-size fits all training blueprint, and no substitute for tailored individual advice from a good coach, but here we list a few videos, books, articles and websites that some of our members and coaches have found useful. They are not necessarily endorsed by the club, nor are any of them sponsored links. We hope you find them useful.
These are websites/pages to support those who are thinking of or are starting out in coaching.
- England Athletics Coaching Resources
- Competition Preparation for Young / New Athletes - Phil Savage - basic tips on raceday preparation
- Information on the British Triathlon Federation coaching scheme this is open to all BTF members and offers an excellent route into coaching.
Books and articles on running
Books on running that members have read and found useful.
- Road Racing For Serious Runners - Pete Pfitzinger & Scott Douglas (www.humankinetics.com)
- The Art of Running Faster - Julian Goater & Don Melvin (Human Kinetics)
- Endure: Mind, body and the curiously elastic limits of human performance - Alex Hutchinson
Articles that you might find useful
If, like me, you've wondered if your running cadence is too slow, you might be interested in these articles.
1) If your cadence is less than 180 steps per minute while running at 5k pace you might want to improve it slightly. This recent article from Runners World also includes a few tips to improve your cadence Running Cadence.
2) Much of what James Dunne of Kinetic Revolution has to say about running is worth reading/listening to. Main away from this article is increasing cadence is a good way of avoiding knee injuries but don't try and increase your cadence too much, too quickly as you'll get calf/achilles problems!
Stretching and exercises to support run training
These, and other videos below, have been compiled by Liz Halliday and Sue Hudson and others, as a resource for athletes to use to support their run training.
- Simple dynamic stretching to do before every run
- Core activation to do pre-run
- Simple and basic, easy to do run stretching
- Pamela Reif 15 minute daily stretch
- Pamela Reif 30 minute full body stretch
- Pamela Reif 6 minute stretch routine (no talking)
- Pamela Reif 10 minute full body stretch (no talking)
- Charlie Boyes cool down stretches
- Amala Movement 15 minute post run yoga stretches
- James Dunne: glute strength activation - basic to advanced
- Glute weakness and pelvis stability exercises
Strength and Conditioning
These videos are more specifically concerned with strength and conditioning.
- Pamela Reif 15 minute core strength work (suitable for beginners, good for all)
- Pamela Reif Abs workout (suitable for beginners)
- Pamela Reif Abs and Glutes
- Pamela Reif Abs workout (intense)
- Pamela Reif 10 minute glute strength workout
- Pamela Reif glute strength (Not for beginners)
- Pamela Reif 45 minute full core workout (Good but NOT for beginners)
- Charlie Boyes session 82, 25 minutes with core strength work
- Charlie Boyes session 100, 25 minutes with core strength work
These videos are drills to do/practice/help with running form etc.
There are a variety of run drills that can be perfomed prior to a session. The following is a basic set of run drills that would activate the full range of muscle groups. This drill set is useful particularly prior to a hard interval session. Ideally it would preceded by a 5-10 minute warm up consisting of easy jogging gradually increasing pace a little and ending a with a few sets of strides. Looking at these videos (none a more than a minute long) would help with executing some of the drills prior to a wednesday track session.
- Foot rolls https://youtu.be/h3kFrqRUsOo
- Walking lunges https://youtu.be/qLlUjy3Hykc
- Walking hamstrings https://youtu.be/17JY3IWiOs0
- Functional Balance or high knee walking https://youtu.be/8ibt9i-B1SQ
- Fast feet: high knee https://youtu.be/xJm0R6Upt0U
- High knee walking https://youtu.be/9oaWmi7gLwk Progression https://youtu.be/dMs-0KP-zQk
- A skips https://youtu.be/g5t6sl8CS_U
- Low skips https://youtu.be/FuHpkf-NeV4
- Carioca https://youtu.be/kBkjdX_q5OU
- Strides https://youtu.be/1RNB7bJ1LAE
Swim drills and training
In this section we provide some swim videos and examples of drills that are commonly used in our swim sessions to help with practice and revision before swim sessions.
Multisport and Triathlon specific training resources
Here we have some videos that support your multisport training