Sussex Grand Prix_
The SGP runs from February to November, taking in some spectacular road and trail races in the county over a range of distances from 5 – 15 miles. Our own Phoenix 10k in July is one of the events.
To qualify for individual Grand Prix prizes (which are awarded by age group and gender), runners need to compete in at least 6 races, although doing more races increases their chances of a strong end of season score. However, running even just one SGP fixture helps out Phoenix in its quest to hold on to the titles won in 2019, so the more runners participating in each race, the merrier.
Details of the fixtures are on the competition website; there are also regular updates sent to those who sign up to our SGP email list.
Notable Phoenix results in recent years include:
- 2015: 2nd Male Vets Team;
- 2016: 1st Mens Open Team, 2nd Mens Vets Team;
- 2017: SGP Champions, 1st Mens Open Team, 1st Mens Vets Team, 2nd Womens Open Team;
- 2018: SGP Runners-Up, 2nd Age-Graded Team, 2nd Open Team, Ash Dorrington and Amelia Culshaw Individual Open Winners;
- 2019: SGP Champions, 1st Open Team, 1st Top Five Team, Simon Heath (with a perfect 3000-point score) and Rachel Gorman Individual Open Winners.