Monday 30th December 2019
2019 has been a great year for Phoenix. Our membership continues to grow past the 400 mark, with an especially encouraging influx of new women members. We pride ourselves on welcoming members of all standards with a desire to train and improve, but we can all celebrate and draw inspiration from our leading performances and there were plenty of those in 2019, spread across the full range of athletes, male and female, and from under 11s to the over 70s.
Here is a reminder of just a few of them. In 2019 we achieved:
- many athletes gaining representative honours at County and National level;
- the first ever medal for a Phoenix team at the Southern Road Relay Championships;
- five new club records (one of them displacing a former world record) at 400m, 1500m, 10K, Half Marathon and Full Marathon;
- an England Mile Title;
- a GB 800m Title;
- a European Half Marathon Title;
- providing the only Sussex athlete to compete for Team GB at the World Athletics Championships in Doha;
- an England 10k Road Team Title;
- the Sussex Grand Prix Road Race League Title;
- two team golds at Sussex cross country championships;
- table-topping outstanding Sportshall performances.
We hope you are already, or will become, a part of this next year - contact us to arrange a free trial membership; or if you are already one of our family, either as a member or as parent/guardian of a member, come along to our training sessions, sign up for races, and please consider helping us to grow by volunteering to help with coaching or any of the many other vital volunteer roles - including the very small ones! .